How to Capture their Natural Beauty on Paper!
When drawing flowers it is important that the artist captures the delicacy and characteristic of the flower and this means careful study of the flower before even picking up a pencil. Drawing flowers requires sensitivity and a love of plants to enable the artist to be able to capture the true essence of the plant itself. Many artists choose to specialise in drawing flowers because in addition to being artists they have a love of the natural world and this enthusiasm does help the artist to portray an accurate or personal representation of the flower of their choice.
To be successful when drawing flowers, the following criteria should be considered:
- Firstly think about the type of flower that you would like to draw. Once you have considered all of the options available to you, ensure that you can make several sketches of the flower itself and this is so that you can refer to your sketches if necessary as well as enabling you to feel more confident.
- Always consider the composition of your picture. Will you be focussing just on the flower head and the petals or would you like the whole flower to be detailed? Will you have the flower and stem arranged and lying across a table for example or will it be positioned neatly and arranged in a vase? These facts have to be considered prior to starting your drawing otherwise your work will appear to be unfocussed.
- When drawing flowers also consider light and shade. Shading some of the petals will help the drawing to become more realistic.
- Allow yourself plenty of time before starting your project; don?t rush, unless of course you are testing your expertise and skill when it comes to drawing flowers.
- Consider what you are trying to portray to those who will see the finished picture.
- Would you like to be renowned in your field? Then it is extremely important that you ensure that your pictures are of the highest calibre and are unique from those other flower pictures. Take time to see what other artists are producing when you visit art galleries. Make note of their style and interpretation.
In the field of art, whilst talent is important, practice, dedication and the drive to succeed is equally so. Make sure that when drawing flowers, you stamp your unique creative interpretation onto the picture.