Drawing faces requires a great deal of patience and dedication from the artist to be able to require the relevant skills but anyone who has an interest in portraiture will be able to achieve their goals providing they practice hard enough. Drawing faces is a complex procedure because everyone?s features are uniquely different but this is also a positive aspect to the process as if we were all the same, there would be no challenge at capturing someone?s likeness. Drawing faces well means study the would-be model and trying to understand what makes their face unique.
The following tips will help the portrait artist to be able to learn the important aspects of this skill:
- Take time to choose the model which inspires you creatively. Ideally this should be someone who is prepared to 'sit' for you whilst you take time to make some preliminary sketches.
- It is also wise to take some good photos of your model from a variety of angles so that you are able to continue working whilst they are not available.
- Drawing faces means understanding the contours of the face such as the cheek bones, nose and chin and be able to capture those contours within your chosen medium.
- Eyes are always known as the windows of the soul and the artist should certainly try to capture a strong likeness to the model?s eyes as this area alone would signify whether the portrait would be a success.
- When drawing faces, do not be afraid to focus on the areas which epitomises the true character of your model.
- Always think of the composition of your portrait, will it be a close up of the head or include the head and shoulders with or without a plain background? Consider what you wish to achieve with your project and plan ahead.
- When drawing faces, do not forget the importance of your model's hairstyle. Remember that not every strand of hair has to be drawn to be able to capture the essence of the style. Let your movements become instinctive and not heavy handed and uncertain.
Most importantly, do not give up. Mistakes may be made on the way to success but once you have mastered the skills of drawing faces well, it opens up many opportunities.