Avoid the Most Common Mistakes in Portraiture!
Developing basic drawing techniques are not overly difficult however, what can be more difficult is having the determination to ensure regular practice and to overcome any possible mistakes that you might make en-route to becoming a good artist. Basic drawing requires self-motivation and an ability to learn from your mistakes and the inner confidence of knowing that you will succeed however long it may take.
To develop the basic drawing techniques required for creating good portraits, check out the following points:
- Always plan your drawing in full before starting as this will really help you to be able to achieve the drawing as you perceive it in your minds eye. Starting without planning will just have the drawing appear without focus as your mind will be disconnected from your creation.
- For portraiture, make sure that you have the model?s proportions correctly. This is an easy mistake to make, but it is one which needs to be overcome if you wish your basic drawing to be accurate.
- When drawing features, ensure that you have taken time to study the movements and expressions of your model so that you are able to capture these expressions more readily. Take time to reproduce how your model styles their hair as this will help to capture the likeness quite quickly and accurately.
- Don't spend too long on your basic drawing, let your movements be free and easy so that it does not appear stilted and forced. Trust yourself and let your creativity become instinctive.
- Always ensure you introduce an element of shading into your portrait as this adds light and depth to your work.
- Having the right tools and equipment for your portrait is really important, make sure you have the right pencils and paper and that the pencils are sharpened and ready for when creativity strikes.
- Make sure you have some good photographs of your model and supporting sketches so that you are able to carry on working once your model has gone.
Good portraiture requires commitment, patience and a level of skill and once obtained, will be able to bring your basic drawing to life.